Thursday, September 23, 2010

A TREE IS NICE by Janice May Udry Illustrations by Marc Simont


     Trees serve many purposes and this book gives us an insight on the many reasons we need and should love our trees.  They help with our environment and are fun to have around. "Fun", you may say?  Well, yes! You can swing from them, climb them, sit on a limb and think from them, lay under it and take a nap, and so much more.
     Janice May Udry's usage of poetry and descriptive language in her writing makes this a pleasant read.  It is easy to get a vision when you hear, "The leaves whisper in the breeze all summer long".  This is one feeling of summer that I enjoy and having others experience it with me is even better.  Her overall writing style is enchanting, it is simple and comforting and an ideal read for any child (or an adult).
     Marc Simont did a wonderful job with the illustrations for this book.  The pictures are so vivid (like children's imaginations) and it completes Udry's writing style.  What I found to be even more interesting is that the illustrations are in both color and black-white, they seem to be taking turns as you turn each page.....I can imagine asking the children what they think is the reason for the variation in illustrations and get answers like: "maybe he ran out of colors to use" or "I bet he was being silly" and I like to think it is the latter!
     I am a big environmental buff and I can definitely see myself using this book as an introduction to a lesson on caring for our environment.  I can surely see why it has earned the CALDECOTT MEDAL.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds so inviting. I am not familiar with Janice May Udry, however, I love reading poetry books that allow you to easily visualize what the author wants you to imagine. You mention "The leaves whisper in the breeze all summer long” being a feeling of summer that you enjoy, I enjoy it too. Living in Brooklyn you do not get to experience this too often since there are not many trees around where I live. When I go to friends houses on Long Island, I can recall sitting outside and hearing the rustle of the leaves as the summer breeze blows. How relaxing indeed. If you enjoyed this book, may I suggest reading The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, which is about the relationship between a boy and a generous tree that gives the boy anything he needs. This book does not have color pictures only drawings and is a sad story but definitely one you should experience. If you like children's poetry books look into Shel Silverstein who has published a few.

    ReplyDelete