Thursday, September 30, 2010

INCH BY INCH by Leo Lionni

HarperTrophy--HaperCollins Publishers
ISBN  978-0-13283-5
     In this whimsical book, an inchworm is so proud that he can measure anything.  He first crosses paths with a hungry robin who is about to eat him but, the clever inchworm convinces this feathered flyer that he is of great importance and that measuring is his skill.  The robin is easily convinced and asks to have his tail measured,  "one, two, three, four, five inches" said the green inchworm.  He then goes on to measure other birds: a flamingo's neck, a toucan's beak and so on.  But then, the inchworm crosses paths with a nightingale who threatens to eat him for breakfast unless his song is measured. How would you measure a song you ask?  Well, the clever and insightful, green as emerald inchworm comes up with an idea and measures away until he is out of sight.
     I chose this book because of the title--it seemed to fit my interest of finding a math book that was different from other math books I read and used in the classroom.  I also loved the cover (despite knowing to "never choose a book by its cover"), it reminded me of one of my other favorite childrens author, Eric Carle.....similar in illustration style.  As I did a walk through, I noticed that the text was appropriate for early childhood school children and such a comfortable read with colorful and viabrant illustrations yet, not an overload on each page, which would make it easy for children to follow along.
     I have been able to use this in the classroom for a math lesson.  At the end, I asked students: "What do you think the inchworm measured next?" and "Where do you think the inchworm went?" Listening to the various answers gave me an idea:  I had each student cut out their own five inch-inchworm out of green construction paper and invited them to measure various things in the classroom (such as: books, pencils, seat, etc.).  I then made a list of the various objects that were measured and posted their results on the bulletin board under "....and the next thing he measured was our classroom".
     Leo Lionni did a wonderful job of putting together this book that can be used for different kinds of lessons in the classroom.  Inch by Inch had also received a Caldecott Honor award and a New York Times best Illustrated book award, it's very easy to see why.  I look forward to reading more of his books and expect the same simple and classic style as this one had to offer.

1 comment:

  1. I am a fan of Inch by Inch, by Leo Lionni. I first found this book while searching for picture books at guided reading level J, interesting and funny. I picked it up when I saw the Caldecott honor award. When I was done reading the story I thought that the little inch worm inching his way to safety was the cutest thing I had ever read! It was great because the student that I was working with loved the book as much as I had. I liked how you used literacy to teach measurement in math… I may just have to borrow that one! It’s funny how you compared Leo Lionni’s work to Eric Carle’s because I noticed that both authors came out with picture books that were published in the same year and are so similar I sometimes get them confused: A Color of His Own by Leo Lionni and The Mixed up Chameleon by Eric Carle. Both stories have a chameleon playing the main character and each chameleon explores their ability to camouflage to their surroundings.
    I love Inch by Inch because I enjoy Picture books that use animals or insects to teach a lesson. Measurement can be a difficult concept to learn. There are many different units of measurement and depending on if you want to use the metric system or customary English units you will need to have different tools to measure the different units. With just the right amount of wit and learning Leo Lionni has won my heart! If you are looking to read more picture books with a twist at the end may I suggest It’s Mine!, by Leo Lionni. I found this book to be helpful at home as well as at work. It provides an opportunity for three frogs that always fight over things to learn how important sharing is. There is an interesting sharing exercise/game in the front of the paperback copy. I read the story aloud then we learned how to play the game and the class had a ball while realizing they never had to worry about losing once they started to share. I hope you find my comments useful as I have found your critique/lesson to be something I would like to use within my own classroom.

    ReplyDelete