Thursday, October 7, 2010

Yeh Shen : A Cinderella Story from China


retold by : Ai-Ling Louie
illustrated by : Ed Young
ISBN : 0698113888

     Cinderella was the very first fairytale that was read to me.  I was six years old and in the first grade--my first day of school.  I didn't speak much English and didn't understand many of the words the teacher spoke.  But, the pictures of the Cinderella book spoke to me and captured my attention.  I was in awe and wanted to be Cinderella (every little girl's dream).  Later that day, I came home with excitement and wanted to relate the story to my mom.  She listened attentively as I retold it in our Albanian language all the while smiling at my enthusiasim.  I remember finishing and waiting for her reaction--she gently took me by the hand and told me that we were going to a bookstore that she passes on her way to work.  I couldn't believe it! When we walked in to the bookstore, my eyes widened at the sight of all those books!  Eventually I found the book and my mom bought me my first fairytale Cinderella book.  It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
     As I got older, I realized that fairytales were my favorite genre of books and that the Cinderella story was popular all over the world.  Yeh Shen, a beautiful girl of ivory smooth skin and dark eyes.  Her beauty is the envy of many including her stepmother and stepsister.  Who is she, you ask?  Well she is the Chinese fairytale version of Cinderella.  This begins differently than what we know of Cinderella and it captures your attention immediately as it first did to me.
     Yeh Shen's father, Chief Wu, had married two wives (an ancient Chinese custom) and each had given birth to a baby girl.  But one wife dies, Yeh Shen's mother, and not long after, so does her father.  Poor Yeh Shen is left to be cared for by her stepmother and stepsister.  She is mistreated and is expected to do all the household chores.  Her only friend is a fish by the river that she feeds her rice to.  But her mean stepmother envies this friendship and kills the fish for dinner and the bones are left. Yeh Shen is advised by an elderly man to hold on to the bones and continue to wish upon the powerful spirit of the fish.
     Yeh Shen is forbidden to attend the annual spring festival. But the powerful spirit of the fish adorns her in a beautiful silk gown and golden slippers and sends her on her way.  At the festival, Yeh Shen is admired by all and is quickly recognized by her stepsister.  Before she is confronted by her stepmother, Yeh Shen escapes and in a rush leaves behind a golden slipper.  As in our version of Cinderella, Yeh Shen tries on the slippers.....a perfect fit!  The king then asks her to become his wife and she returns with him to the palace where they live happily ever after.
     Ai-Ling Louie does a wonderful job in portraying a beautiful culture and it's interesting traditions/customs.  The story unfolds beautifully and the words are very graceful and poetic.  I have read so many versions of Cinderella from various countries, but this is my favorite by far!  The Chinese culture is exhibited in every page through soft colors and vivid illustrations by the artistic Ed Young.  Yeh Shen's raggedy clothing is similar to our Cinderella yet, the festival gown is so different and this is just one example of how unique the story really is.

1 comment:

  1. Since learning of the different versions of Cinderella in class on Monday, I have been interested in researching them. When I saw your selection for this week I was really excited to read more about the Chinese version. Your ability to grasp the story line of the book by pictures is a very important statement. It shows just how much the pictures in these stories help the children along in understanding what is going on. In classrooms across America, children use these pictures to help them relate to things, especially as they are just learning to read and write. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for an immigrant like you to come to a foreign country and not only learn to read, but to do it in an unfamiliar language.

    It is interesting and understandable how different cultures adapt these stories and change details so children can relate it to the traditions they are familiar with. Even with the cultural differences, the story stayed true to the tradition of fairytales and once mistreated Yeh Shen “lived happily ever after”. The moral of the story remains, and the overall lesson is grasped. I am always intrigued by the Chinese artwork and will definitely be picking this book up for my class.

    ReplyDelete