Thursday, October 28, 2010

If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand

ISBN: 0689801165
by Kalli Dakos
 illustrated by G. Brian Karas

     For every student and teacher that has ever been in a classroom, If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand  (Poems About School) by Kalli Dakos and G.Brian Karas is the best poetry book that captures the excitement and challenges of life in elementary school.  Here are a collection of thirty-eight poems and lively pictures that amuse and surprise readers of all ages.
     After reading each poem, I came to realize that it was difficult to choose one to be my favorite---they were all great!  Kalli Dakos writes about what is familiar to students and teachers and all readers can relate.  G.Brian Karas compliments the poetry with simple, sketch-like illustrations.  While many of these poems were wistful and funny, one in particular stood out because it was somewhat sad and touching, it is titled "Were You Ever Fat Like Me?".  This poem reflects a Sandra's experience with her own weight as she inquires of her teacher's weight experience as a child.  But, Ms. Danforth had the opposite problem.....she was "thin as a toothpick" due to a serious rash.  They discussed how painful name-calling can be. At the end of the poem, Sandra "suddenly felt as light as an autumn leaf." I love how this poem depicts the many roles a teacher plays in a child's life.
     I LOVE POETRY! Infact, I have a collection of my own poems which I hope someone would blog on one day.  Writing has always been my escape from the everyday struggles I faced growing up.  My love for poetry began when I was chosen to recite a poem by Langston Hughes titled, "Mother To Son".  I was taught how to read it and what it meant.  For me, it was a profound meditation on the human condition and spirit.  This was my inspiration, my connection to a whole new world of thoughts and feelings.
     While reading this collection of expressive poetry, another great poet comes to mind, Jack Prelutsky.  Jack Prelutsky is a U.S. Children's Poet Laureate known for writing wacky and goofy poems. I cannot get enough of school related poetry where the theme and setting is consistent with classroom life from both the students and teachers perspective.  These poetry books are a must in every classroom!

1 comment:

  1. I share your enthusiasm for poetry! I would love to read some of your work if you are interested in sharing. As a child, I would use art to express myself more so than words. I was constantly sketching in my notebooks or binders whenever I felt conflicted about something going on in my life. It wasn’t until I was much older that I was asked to write a poem about something important to me. I enjoyed writing my poem, and I kept a copy of the poem which I still have today. I do prefer to draw when I have something weighing on my mind. I find it hard to write my feelings down at times. I have never been one to share my personal thoughts readily, and I admire your ability to put into words your struggles.
    It is important to open children's eyes to the many ways that they can express themselves, and poetry is definitely one of the wonderful ways to express ourselves. Even if one does not wish to write down what they are feeling he/she can find a poem that he/she can relate to in order to find a way to understand or break away from whatever struggle he/she faces. Looking at the poem you chose to write about one can find comfort in knowing they are not alone when it comes to being called names. We have all experienced teasing in some way or the other. Being called names hurts no matter who you are!
    Lastly, before blogging this week I read a few different poetry books and three of them were by Jack Prelutsky. I did enjoy some of his poems and even added them to my collection of great poems. I am very interested in getting my hands on a copy of, “If You’re Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems about School”, by Kalli Dakos and G.Brian Karas now! I hope we continue to share our ideas on children's literature even though this is our last blog because you have brought many interesting stories to my attention, and I thank you very much for doing so!

    ReplyDelete